Important: If you are a long-term fan with a larger portfolio of ETS2 expansions but little patience to read the following wall of text, make sure to check out this Cargo Bundle link first!
It has been a very busy year for SCS Software, a year of major studio growth, and also a year with the record amount of content releases in our plans. We were planning to space out the releases through the autumn, but you know us, we don't release stuff until it's done. So we kept coming back to tweak, test, polish, re-test - rinse and repeat - until we are finally satisfied with the quality. We ended up with several releases all lined up for the final weeks of the year, we apologize for the avalanche.
This expansion is quite special for us and not only for its name. It's not just about a bunch of new highly detailed 3D models - as the regulations of oversize transports are very specific, we had to develop a ton of new AI code and created a sort of a game inside a game.
These jobs just don't allow you the same degree of freedom to roam the continent as standard deliveries, quite the contrary, you have to adhere to very strict instructions, keep your hand steady on the steering wheel and your eyes on every centimeter of the road. We have spent over a year coding and scripting the functionality and the first batch of Special Transport jobs for the release, but it's only a start, we are committed to bringing you a wider variety of routes in the future.
Your route will be secured by two escort vehicles guiding you through the transport job from its start to the place of delivery. It's not going to be a piece of cake, but if you obey the escort vehicles' advice and deliver the cargo in pristine condition, you can consider yourself a real pro, a true veteran behind the wheel who can deliver even the most enormous cargoes.
Let's take a look what the Special Transport DLC for ETS2 offers:
- 11 huge cargoes (up to 70 tons, 6 m width, 5+ m height and 20+ m length)
- 4 new special trailers
- Unique job routes for to challenge you with Special Transport (most in the base map, some through DLC expansions, more to come!)
- A combination of over 80 Special Transport Jobs
- Custom AI escort vehicles
- Original intros for the cargoes and jobs, crowds and police cars along the routes
- New models, characters, and animations of people assisting or spectating the transport
- Curious pedestrians, journalists or transport co-workers along the routes
- A new set of warning beacons for the trucks
- Special Transport Achievements
- Close collaboration with AI escort vehicles required
- Enhanced AI behavior: clearing the path, stopping traffic, giving advice, pushing opposing vehicles to the side etc.
- The risk to fail the given Job on the spot if you do not adhere to strict instructions or regulations
- New checkpoints system to keep your progress in a special transport job safe
We hope that you still have some free time left in your Christmas 2017 Calendar because these enormous cargoes will require some truly dedicated drivers to deliver them safely!